Makes 6 servings
Hands-on-time: 15 minutes
Total time: 60 minutes
- 30 gr or 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 32 gr or ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 500 ml or 2 cups whole milk
- 115 gr or 1 cup sharp Cheddar, grated
- 3 slices sandwich bread, torn small pieces
- 45 ml or 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1360 gr or 6 leeks [3 pounds]—white and light green parts only, halved lengthwise and root ends left intact
- kosher salt and black pepper
- Heat oven to 190° C or 375° F.
- Melt the butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Sprinkle with the flour and cook, whisking, for 30 seconds.
- Slowly whisk in the milk, ¼ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper and bring to a boil.
- Remove from heat and stir in the Cheddar until melted.
- In a small bowl, combine the bread pieces, oil, and ¼ teaspoon each salt and pepper.
- Place the leeks in a single layer in the bottom of an 22 x 35 cm or 9-by-13-inch or some other 2 liter or 2-quart baking dish.
- Cover with the milk mixture and sprinkle with the bread mixture.
- Cover the dish with foil and bake until the leeks are tender and the filling is bubbling, 25 to 35 minutes.
- Remove the foil and bake until the top is golden brown, 8 to 10 minutes more.
Note: To clean leeks, which tend to be gritty, trim them according to the recipe, then swirl in a bowl of cold water. The sand will sink to the bottom. Scoop them out and transfer to a colander to drain.
PDF of this recipe: 20120705-Creamy-Leek-Gratin