Hi boyz and girlz, it’s me Julius!
I’m back for a few days at Peter’s place. I’ve had some treats already and look forward what’s install for me till Sunday. Peter asked what my keepers are up too and all they said was shopping and dining in Cologne. So Peter gave them his list of wishes to bring back, 1 pair of chino’s in a camel or khaki color, that’s all. And if they’re on sale they can bring back two.
Woof to you later!
Another favorite of mine, and this time again not food related.
Bloomings on Elandsgracht is a shop specialized in orchids plants and flowers, oriental lilies and special tropical flowers. The owner, Henry den Neijsel, is wild about Vanda orchids which ‘grow’ on air and the surrounding moisture. But indoors you have to ‘help’ the plant getting its water. Next to the flowers they have a large range of vases in glass and earthenware.
1016 TM Amsterdam
Click for a broader view
For a change no food, but food related.
For exclusive china, cutlery and linens I go to Vivian Hann on Haarlemmerdijk. Next to big brands like china from Dibbern and and steel cutlery from Pott, she sells china from small manufacturers, one-offs, mother-of-pearl or bone spoons and linens made of real linen. It’s not one of the largest shops [30 square meter] but that makes it so cute.
Part of Vivian can be seen in the reflection of the first cupboard.
Vases like bobbins with yarn
1013 JG Amsterdam
Click for a broadere view
If I can comment, I can blog too.
Next week I start again.
Sweet Onion Pie
Makes 6 servings
Prep: 10 minutes
Cook: 35 minutes
- 95 gr or 1½ cups buttery round crackers, crumbled
- 85 gr or 6 tablespoons butter, softened
- 230 gr or 2 cups thinly sliced sweet onions
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 gr or 1 tablespoon minced fresh chives
- 180 ml or ¾ cup whole milk
- 2 eggs
- 3 gr or ½ teaspoon salt
- 85 gr or ¾ cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1 gr or 1 pinch paprika
- 4 gr or 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- Preheat oven to 175° C or 350° F
- In a mixing bowl, combine crackers and 4 tablespoons of butter in a bowl until well blended.
- Press into the bottom and 1 inch up the sides of 8 inch pie plate to form a shell.
- Refrigerate until needed.
- Melt remaining 2 tablespoons butter in heavy skillet over medium heat.
- Saute onions and garlic slowly until tender, about 12 minutes.
- Arrange onions in the cracker crust.
- Beat eggs, whole milk, chives, and salt in a bowl until blended.
- Bake the crumb crust for several minutes before adding the onions and egg/milk mixture, otherwise it ends up soggy.
- Pour the mixture over the onions.
- Sprinkle with cheese and paprika.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 35 minutes, or until a knife comes out clean.
- Garnish with the parsley.
- Serve hot or at room temperature.
Note: You can switch up what type of cheese you use or add slices of tomato on top for an attractive presentation.
Amount Per Serving
Total Fat: 22g
Total Carbs: 16.2g
Dietary Fiber: 0.8g
PDF of this recipe: 20120223-Sweet-Onion-Pie