Makes 18 servings
Prep: 15 minutes
Cook: 20 minutes
- 190 gr or 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- 60 gr or ½ cup whole wheat flour
- 250 gr or 1¼ cups white sugar
- 7 gr or 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 9 gr or 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 gr or ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 3 gr or ½ teaspoon salt
- 220 gr or 2 cups grated carrots
- 1 apple – peeled, cored, and chopped
- 145 gr or 1 cup raisins
- 1 egg
- 2 egg whites
- 140 gr or ½ cup unsweetened applesauce
- 60 ml or ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 15 ml or 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 15 gr or 2 tablespoons chopped walnuts
- 15 gr or 2 tablespoons toasted wheat germ
- Preheat oven to 190°C or 375°F. Lightly oil 18 muffin cups, or coat with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs, egg whites, unsweetened applesauce, oil and vanilla.
- In a large bowl, stir together flours, sugar, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Stir in carrots, apples and raisins. Stir in apple butter mixture until just moistened.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin cups, filling them about 3/4 full.
- In a small bowl, combine walnuts and wheat germ; sprinkle over the muffin tops.
- Bake at 190°C or 375°F for 15 to 20 minutes, or until the tops are golden and spring back when lightly pressed.
Note 1: You can exchange the unsweetened applesauce with apple butter when you want a richer taste.
Note 2: Freeze the leftovers, if there are any… 😉
Amount Per Serving
Total Fat: 4.2 [g]
Cholesterol: 12 [mg]
Sodium: 175 [mg]
Total Carbs: 37.3 [g]
Dietary Fiber: 2 [g]
Protein: 3.1 [g]