Makes 6 servings
Prep: 20 minutes
Cook: 20 minutes
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 potato – peeled and cubed
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 1/2 cups chicken stock
- 2 1/2 cups milk
- 1 1/2 pounds watercress, large stems removed
- 1/4 cup whipped heavy cream (optional)
- 1/2 cup watercress leaves for garnish
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium high heat.
- Add the potato and onion, stirring to coat with the oil. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Reduce heat to medium, cover and heat for 5 minutes.
- Pour in the chicken stock and the milk, bring just to a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes, or until potatoes are tender.
- Stir in the watercress and simmer, uncovered, for 4 to 5 minutes, or until watercress is just cooked.
- In small batches, transfer the soup to a blender or food processor and puree until smooth.
- Return the soup to the pot, season to taste, and ladle into individual bowls.
- Top each serving with a dollop of crème fraiche, if desired and garnish with watercress leaves.
Amount Per Serving
Total Fat: 8.9g
Total Carbs: 14.8g
Dietary Fiber: 1.7g
PDF of this recipe: 04-4_Eat_The_Season_Watercress