Makes 6 servings
Prep: 10 minutes
Cook: 15 minutes
- 45 ml or 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 4 Chinese eggplants, halved lengthwise and cut into 2½ cm or 1 inch half moons
- 235 ml or 1 cup water
- 9 gr or 1 tablespoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 25 gr or 3 tablespoons garlic powder
- 20 gr or 5 teaspoons white sugar
- 3 gr or 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 30 ml or 2 tablespoons light soy sauce
- 8 gr or 2 tablespoons oyster sauce
- Heat the canola oil in a skillet over high heat.
- Cook and stir the eggplant until soft, about 4 minutes.
- Stir in the water, red pepper flakes, and garlic powder.
- Cover and simmer until all the water is absorbed.
- Meanwhile, mix sugar, cornstarch, light soy sauce, and oyster sauce in a bowl until sugar and cornstarch have dissolved.
- Stir sauce into the eggplant, making sure to evenly coat the eggplant.
- Cook until the sauce has thickened.
Note: Use 3 cloves fresh pressed garlic instead of garlic powder, and chicken broth instead of water.
Amount Per Serving Main recipe.
Total Fat 8g
Saturated Fat 0.7g
Total Carbohydrates 29.2g
Dietary Fiber 13.2g
Gastric Bypass, Gastric Sleeve and Lap-band persons can eat only half a portion max!
PDF of this recipe: 20130214-Eggplant-with-Garlic-Sauce