Makes 4 servings
Prep: 25 minutes
Cool: 30 minutes
Cook: 10 minutes
- 450 gr or 1 pound small potatoes, scrubbed
- 85 gr or ½ [3 ounce] fillet skinless, boneless halibut fillets
- 225 gr or ½ pound skinless, boneless salmon fillets
- 475 ml or 2 cups milk
- 2 eggs, divided
- 30 gr or 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 gr or 1 pinch ground nutmeg
- 1 dash Worcestershire sauce
- salt and pepper to taste
- 120 gr or 1 cup dried bread crumbs, seasoned
- 235 ml or 1 cup oil for frying
- Place the potatoes into a saucepan with enough water to cover.
- Bring to a boil, and cook until tender, about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place the halibut and salmon into a skillet or large saucepan, and pour in the milk.
- Bring to a simmer, cover, and cook until fish flakes easily with a fork, about 5 minutes depending on the thickness of your fillets.
- Drain off milk, and set fish aside.
- When potatoes are done, drain, and place in a large bowl.
- Mash potatoes with one of the eggs and the butter until fairly smooth.
- Season with nutmeg, Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper.
- Mix in the fish, taking care not to break into too small of pieces.
- Beat the remaining egg, and place on a plate.
- Place bread crumbs on a separate plate.
- Lightly flour your hands, and form the fish mixture into patties.
- Dip each patty into the egg, then coat with breadcrumbs.
- Place the fish cakes on a plate, and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Heat ¼ inch of oil in a large heavy skillet over medium to medium-high heat.
- Fry the fish cakes for about 3 minutes per side, or until golden brown.
- Drain on paper towels, and serve fresh and hot.
Amount Per Serving
Total Fat: 24.4g
Total Carbs: 46.4g
Dietary Fiber: 4g
PDF of this recipe: 20120607-Dutch-Fish-Cakes