Makes 4 servings
Prep: 10 minutes
Chill: 60 minutes
- 2x 700 gr or 1 [3-pound] honeydew or other melon
- 1½ Ts fresh lime juice
- 1½ Ts sour cream or crème fraîche
- 2 Ts chopped fresh basil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cut melon in half and discard seeds. Scoop out flesh.
- Chop enough melon into small pieces to measure ½ cup and reserve.
- In 2 batches, purée large pieces of melon in a blender or food processor until smooth, about 30 seconds. Transfer to a bowl.
- Stir in lime juice and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Stir in chopped melon and chill.
- Stir soup, then ladle into bowls.
- Garnish with sour cream and basil.
Note 1: Stir the sour cream or crème fraîche first so that it liquefies slightly. Then it can be drizzled attractively over each serving.
Note 2: Add a ripped apart slice of Parma ham on top of the soup
Note 3: Stir a splash of dry Spanish sherry into the soup for extra sophistication. Scattering a few red or green grape halves over each bowlful along with the basil is another nice touch.
PDF of this recipe: Chilled-Melon-Soup-with-Fresh-Basil