Makes 4 servings
Prep: 10 minutes
Cook: 20 to 25 minutes
- 8 large potatoes [firm cookers]
- 5 shallots
- 150 gram mature farm cheese, sliced
- Pepper and salt to taste
- Preheat the oven to 250°C
- Cut the shallots in small rings
- Peel the potatoes and cut them in rectangular blocks by cutting of the sides and ends.
- Boil these rectangular potatoes for about 10 minutes, drain them and cut them in thin slices.
- Grease a baking dish
- Build the ‘houses’ by placing a slice of potato in the greased baking dish, top it with an onion ring and a slice of cheese. Put a new slice of potato, onion, cheese on top of the other.
- Keep building in the same order until you’ve used up the potato
- If it really doesn’t keep standing, then insert a small skewer into the potato stack from the top.
- Put the baking dish in the preheated oven for about 10 minutes until the cheese is melted.
- Remove the ‘houses’ from the dish or put the entire dish on the table and leave this difficult task to your guests.
PDF of this recipe 20110512_Amsterdam-Houses