Makes 4 servings [16 pancakes]
- 500 gram or 4 cups grated zucchini
- 25 gram or ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 15 gram or ¼ cup fresh basil, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh chives, chopped
- 1 packet artificial sweetener [Splenda or Canderel]
- 6 tablespoons egg white substitute
- cooking spray.
- fat-free sour cream
- salt and pepper to taste
- Place grated zucchini in a colander, let stand for 20 minutes at room temperature, then wrap zucchini in a clean dish towel and wring out as much liquid as possible.
- Place zucchini in a bowl and mix with cheese, basil, chives and sweetener.
- I a separate bowl, beat egg whites with an electric mixer until they hold stiff peaks, then gently fold into zucchini mixture.
- Heat cooking spray in a 25 cm or 10 inch nonstick skillet over moderate high heat until hot but not smoking. Spoon 2 tablespoons of batter mixture per pancake into skillet [skillet should accommodate about 5 pancakes a time], flattening slightly and sauté 3 minutes each side, turning once, until golden brown.
- Remove cooked pancakes to plate and keep warm. Re-spray skillet and repeat cooking steps until all pancakes are cooked.
- Top with fat-free sour cream and add salt and pepper to taste.
Serve this side dish with fish.
Lap-band: 1-2 pancakes with 2 tablespoons sour cream
Bypass: 1-2 pancakes with 2 tablespoons sour cream
Others: 4 pancakes with 2 tablespoons sour cream
Amount Per Serving
Total Fat: 2.2g
Total Carbs: 11.4g
Dietary Fiber: 1.6g