Oliebollen or Dutch Doughnuts
A Dutch treat on New Years Eve and New Years Day.
It is a dutch pastry similar to a doughnut. It typically is a deep fried pastry filled with raisins and dusted with powdered sugar. Some modern variations serve them topped with a berry filling, but this is a traditional recipe.
There is a PDF with the recipe at the bottom of this post.
Makes 12 servings
- 15 gram or 2 [0.25 ounce] packages active dry yeast
- 120 ml or 1/2 cup lukewarm water [110°F to 115°F]
- 560 gram or 4 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 50 gram or 1/4 cup white sugar
- 6 gram or 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 335 ml or 1 1/2 cups milk
- 190 gram or 1 1/2 cups chopped apple
- 165 gram or 1 cup raisins [optional]
- 1000 ml or 1 quart vegetable oil for frying
- icing sugar for decoration
- Warm oven on lowest possible temperature setting.
- Dissolve the yeast in the warm water in a small mixing bowl. In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, sugar, and salt.
- Add the eggs, yeast mixture, and milk; beat with an electric mixer until blended.
- Turn off the oven. Cover the prepared dough with a greased piece of plastic wrap, and place the bowl of dough on the lowest rack of the warmed oven. Allow to rest and rise for 1 hour.
- Heat the oil for frying to 180°C or 350°F in a heavy bottomed, deep skillet.
- Mix the apples and raisins into the dough. Then, carefully slide the dough by heaping tablespoons into the preheated oil. Do not crowd the pan.
- Fry the fritters until they are golden brown, about 2 minutes per side. They should turn over on their own when they are ready to brown on the other side, but keep an eye on them and flip them as necessary.
- Remove them to a paper towel lined plate and repeat with the remaining dough.
- Dust with icing sugar while warm.
NOTE 1: HIGH in fat, so if on a diet try at least one, or if you have good intentions after New Years Day take two or more…
NOTE 2: Ready-made oliebollen can be bought from as early as October in every supermarket or bakery. On fairs around the country they’re year-round available, FRESH & YUMMIE !
Amount Per Serving
Total Fat: 8.5g
Total Carbs: 45.8g
Dietary Fiber: 2g
Download here the recipe 081201_oliebollen