Makes 8 servings
Prep: 30 minutes
Cook: 30 minutes
- 30 gr or 2 tablespoons butter
- 320 gr or 2 cups chopped onion
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 950 ml or 4 cups chicken stock
- 620 gr or 4 cups diced potatoes
- 900 gr or 2 pounds cod, diced into 1¼ cm or ½ inch cubes
- ½ gr or ⅛ teaspoon Old Bay seasoning, or to taste
- salt to taste
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 240 gr or 1 cup clam juice
- 60 gr or ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 700 ml or 2 (12 fluid ounce) cans evaporated milk
- In a large stockpot, melt 2 tablespoons butter over medium heat.
- Sautée onions and celery in butter until tender.
- Add chicken stock and potatoes; simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add fish, and simmer another 10 minutes.
- Season to taste with Old Bay seasoning, salt and pepper.
- Mix together clam juice and flour until smooth and stir into soup.
- Remove from heat, and stir in evaporated milk.
Note 1: In the Netherlands we use a different type of fish seasoning, Old Bay is hardly available. But you can make your own by grinding celery seed, black pepper, bay leaf, cardamom, mustard seed, cloves, paprika, and mace to a fine mix.
Note 2: Use catfish, but any white fish would work well, even a mixture of fish.
Note 3: When you want to add shrimp do it in the last minutes otherwise they’ll turn out rubbery.
Note 4: Add some crumbled bacon into the soup, instead of using it as a topping, but top it with parsley.
Amount Per Serving
Total Fat: 11.3g
Total Carbohydrates: 33.7g
Dietary Fiber: 2.8g
Gastric Bypass, Gastric Sleeve and Lap-band [WLS] persons can eat a serving max !
PDF of this recipe: 20141023-Dutch-Fish-Chowder